Friday, January 29, 2010

Deborah's ThriftScore

My friend Deborah is one of the shrewdest ThriftScorer I've ever met. I've never been clothes shopping with her though -- her thing is HOUSES.  I've seen her take a nothing piece of property in the middle of nowhere, fix it up on a sit on it a bit, and then reap in huge profits from reselling it. She was the one who actually inspired me to buy my first place, way off the grid on Berry Hill Lane in the Olympic Peninsula.

But I digress. Here's what Deborah has to say about this particular ThriftScore:  "Do garage sales count?  I have found the most amazing things in Florida recently.  We put our whole new house together for under $200 for most rooms.  We even scored a nice wood dresser and cast iron outside chairs from the side of the road. My favorite is the photo I am sending you, garage sale, 25 bucks.  I love it.

"Everything is cheap now where we are in Florida, there are many livable houses in the $30,000s, some very cool houses for $100,000 with pools!  Lots of ThriftScores there."

YES! This counts. Which brings me to another important point: Sometimes people throw away perfectly good furniture because they are moving or have replaced it. It ALWAYS pays to stop and check it out. Even if you can't use it, if it's good you can resell it on Craigslist. I've made a ton of money this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment